Monday, October 8, 2012

Big Changes

It's funny how in 3 seconds all of your plans for the next few years can change so dramatically.  General Conference is always such a great spiritual experience, and this past weekend was no difference, with a historic announcement made by President Monson.

Nick invited me to go up to Flagstaff with is family to watch conference at their cabin.  Fun people, beautiful weather, and a relaxing weekend... it was  a no-brainer.  We headed up Friday afternoon and were all settled in by Friday evening and ready for conference the next morning.  I forgot to set an alarm for the morning session, but I was woken up by my aunt Jen only a few minutes after it had started.  "News from Salt Lake!" she exclaimed as she burst into my room.  I sat up and rubbed my eyes as Jen sat down next to me and excitedly told me there had been a huge announcement made at the beginning of conference.  I honestly had no idea what it could be, I even thought maybe it was announced that now girls could hold the priesthood!  Jen then told me the big announcement: the minimum missionary age for boys has been changed to 18 years old, and 19 years old for girls.  I was in total disbelief.  This was great news for my friends, like Nick, who don't turn 19 for another 10 months!  And then it dawned on me.  I'm almost 19.  My mission papers can go in as fast as I can finish them!  Wow.  It's been all I can think about since hearing the news, and all of a sudden everyone wants to go on a mission... it's insane!  I know it's such a blessing to have the opportunity to serve the Lord, but I'm still trying to decide if it's the right decision for me.  Even though I can go on a mission now, I still have time to think about it and decide if I should go.  

I'm not sure yet if I want to serve a mission right now, but I still think it is so amazing that it's even an option.  Now it's not "If I'm 21 and not married, then maybe I'll go on a mission".  Since girls can serve a mission within a year of graduating high school, it can actually be a solid plan.  With this change, so many more sister missionaries will be out in the field and elders will be out much quicker.  It just goes to show how much the world needs the message that we have, because as Elder Holland said in his talk in April's General Conference, "It's getting late."

No comments: